Italy is not only one of the world’s most scenic and enchanting places to visit, but Italian cuisine is also ranked among the most popular cuisine in the world. The Italian cuisine has given so many of the delicious meals we cook and consume today which includes the cheesy Pizzas, the appetizing Lasagna, the delightful Risotto, the enticing Spaghetti, the exquisite Pasta, and the savory Borchetta.
The best thing about Italian food is that they only require 5 or 6 ingredients and are cooked without any hassle. The emphasis is on the quality of food, and a person can feel the taste of every ingredient. Italians are quite passionate about food, just like my Italian Grandmother who has prepared and served us with some of the most sumptuous Italian meals.
There is a wide range of meals that my Nonna (Grandmother) has prepared over the years, which includes Pasta recipes, desserts, soups, meat recipes, bread, cookies, and fish. My Nonna has expert culinary skills, and traditional Italian food is the highlight of a particular occasion or event. The traditional food has a special recipe and taste, which is hard to find in even the best restaurant. Apart from the taste, nearly all the traditional recipes are healthy as Italians mostly use olive oil that reduces fat along with fresh fruits and vegetables. Some of the delicious Italian meals from my Nonna’s kitchen are
- Spaghetti with Meatballs
One of the most classic meal is the Spaghetti with meatballs that can be cooked in 30 minutes and in the same pan. The steps to prepare the meals are
- To make the meatballs, you need to take a bowl and mix 1 pound of ground beef along with, Parmesan, parsley, and garlic powder. In the end, add egg and bread crumbs and shape the mixture into balls.
- Heat the meatballs in a pan of olive oil for 3 to 5 minutes
- Remove the meatballs, remove the grease and then fill the pan with 3 inches of water and add few pinches of salt and let the one pound dried Spaghetti to boil.
- Drain the Spaghetti and add the meatballs and sauce
- Italian Wedding Soup
Who doesn’t like to warm himself with a savory light steaming soup filled with vegetables. This soup is quite unique, and in every spoon, you will get a taste of beans, kale, Parmesan, and Italian meatballs. The steps to make the Italian Wedding Soup are
- Take a bowl and put 1 pound Italian sausage and mix it with salt, pepper, parsley, bread crumbs and Parmesan to make small meatballs
- Heat the pan with olive oil and heat the meatballs until they are brown
- To make the soup, heat the olive oil on medium heat and put carrots, onions, and celery and stir for 5 to 6 minutes. Then add garlic and stir for one minute
- Add the meatballs and let the broth simmer for few minutes
- Whisk the egg and cheese on a small bowl and pour it in the broth
- Season the soup with salt and pepper
- Pasta Alla Norma
If you are in a mood of having delightful vegetables, then Pasta Alla Norma is the best food to eat. The ingredients and steps to make the dish are
- Take a large pan and medium heat the olive oil. Cook the eggplant until brown and remove it on a plate and season it with salt and pepper
- Next, add onion to the same pan and stir for 3 to 4 minutes and then add garlic
- Then add tomatoes, oregano, and red pepper flakes and let the sauce to simmer for 15 minutes
- While the sauce is simmering, heat a pot of water for the Pasta to boil and cook, then drain the water
- Add the Pasta and eggplant to the prepared sauce and garnish it with parsley, pecorino, and basil.
- Bolognese Lasagna
One of the favorite family meal is the Bolognese Lasagna which has a trademark style of Italian cuisine with an amazing mix of tomatoes, peppers, herbs, beef, and cheese. You need to
- Heat olive oil on a pan on medium heat, and then add onion and season with salt and pepper. After three minutes add garlic, sausage, pepper, beef and let the food cook for 10 minutes
- Next, add tomatoes, oregano, bay leaves, tomato paste, and 1 cup of water. Stir and let the food cook for 30 minutes until the sauce is thick
- Preheat the oven at 375°F. Grease the pan and spread one-fourth of the prepared sauce on the dish then put 3 to 4 sheets of lasagna and then add ricotta cheese, then repeat the step again until all the sauce is poured and 5 to 6 layers of lasagna are stuffed in between.
- Top the dish with Parmesan and Mozzarella cheese and bake for 45 minutes till you can see slightly brown color on top
- Chicken Parmesan
The Chicken Parmesan is a juicy and crispy chicken recipe with all the mouthwatering ingredients and wholesome Parmesan cheese. To cook, you will need to
- Preheat the oven to 450°F and select a baking tray and place a foil for easy cleaning afterwards
- Medium heat a pan with olive oil and add garlic, onions, and bay leaves and stir for five minutes. Then add tomatoes, and basil and let the sauce become thick for 15 minutes. Then season with salt, sugar, and pepper.
- Next, lay 4 chicken breast pieces on the cutting board, wrap the pieces with plastic and pound the pieces until they become flat. Put flour in a bowl and add little salt and pepper and mix evenly. In another bowl mix eggs and water until it becomes frothy. Put bread crumbs on plate and season with salt and pepper
- Heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Dip the chicken cutlets in flour, then coat them with eggs and breadcrumbs. Fry the cutlets for 5 minutes until they are crispy
- Place the chicken on the baking tray and pour the tomato olive sauce, sprinkle the Parmesan, and Mozzarella cheese and bake for 15 minutes
Italian food has always been recognized for its healthy and delicious taste. The Italian meals are exquisite and not only look spectacular but have an incredible taste. The olive oil, vegetables, and meat are combined in just the ideal way to give you a pleasant flavor in every bite.
- Health Magazine
- Once upon a chef
- Serious Eats
- Fine Cooking
- Kitchen Sanctuary